Monday, August 1, 2011

Changes

Linda Yang

2001. I was 13 years old and an aspiring writer. My father, who is conveniently the editor of this newspaper, asked if I wanted to contribute to Truth by writing and translating articles. I jumped at the opportunity. Later I found out that he had ulterior motives—it was a way to get me to practice my Chinese without him having to breathe down my neck to do it. I started amassing short stories and inspirational articles from various sources and translating one each month for the youth bilingual column. I asked my close Christian friends to submit their testimonies; some of my favourite articles are these personal stories of transformation and redemption. Time went on and coming up with the monthly article became a part of my life’s rhythm. My eye was always on the look out for interesting articles to share.

I am now 23 years old and still an aspiring writer. My father found that he still had to breathe down my neck every month to meet his deadlines, but I definitely kept my Chinese. (Good job, Dad!) The bilingual column has grown to the Double-Edged bilingual page with our own dedicated translation and writing team and our own unique design. The articles we print are more mature now (hopefully). They are the thoughtful, original prose and poetry of young adults from various walks of life. Some are married; some are in graduate school; some are in the working world; and some are still trying to figure things out. All of them are my good friends, connected by the writing and translation process.

Volunteering as a writer and translator for Truth has been a rewarding experience in many respects. It taught me early on that deadlines are important and must be met. It allowed me to explore my love for writing and hone my skills. Each article had opened my eyes to how the writers see God in the everyday ordinariness of life or in the painful moments grieving a loss or in the joy of starting afresh as a child of God. Above all else, it showed me that God must be at the centre of what we are writing—even if it is a humourous review of a new play in town or a serious reflection on life. Good writers allow God to take part in the writing process and to speak through the writing, giving us a chance to communicate our innermost thoughts and feelings whilst building our readers up and drawing them unto God.

The reason for reminiscing over the last ten years is because my time with Truth is at an end. I am heading to a different city to pursue further studies and will be leaving my editorial responsibilities to Naomi and Ephesus (both have contributed regularly to Double-Edged in the last two years). I want to thank my father for pushing me to take on something so big, believing that I was up to snuff, and praying for her. Thank you to the staff at VCCSTMTC for their continual support over the years. I am also forever grateful to all the writers and translators who have lent their creativity, talent and time to Truth; you have inspired me with your insight, wisdom, and steadfast faith. And to you, dear reader, thank you for coming on this journey with us, whether it is your first time opening up this paper or you have been since the beginning. Without you, there would be no reason for all of this.

Finally, all the credit belongs to the Lord for providing an awkward teenager ten years ago with such a special opportunity and His continual love and guidance. He is the Potter who fashions beautiful vessels out of simple clay. I pray he keeps moulding me into a woman after His heart.

Photo with parents at graduation from UBC - May 2011

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger