Monday, November 1, 2010

Birthdays

By a 25-year-old child of God
Sharon Chan

A speaker once shared a story about a man who did not know his birthday. This was a problem because this man needed to fill out paperwork regarding a student visa. Date of birth is a typical space to be filled on application forms. In our individualistic society, the idea of birth date poses no question for most applicants. But this man could not identify his own birth date. When questioned why he did not know this, he simply answered that in his culture, it was not important to know when a person was born. A man doesn’t need to know his birth date in order to know that he is alive.

I’ve never made much of my birthday. Growing up in an Asian family, we honoured one another’s lives with particular actions but we certainly did not make a celebration of birthdays. A show of humility perhaps since Asian culture makes much of not being the centre of attention. Of course, immersed in western culture, my siblings and I would have occasional birthday parties, especially during our teen years. Another excuse to get together with friends. And receive gifts. And have the best party. Not very humble.

As I slowly (in light of “grown-up” years) move into adulthood and learn more about myself, I realize that I don’t care too much for my birthday. I enjoy celebrating other people’s birthdays as it is a marked opportunity to show appreciation for that particular relationship in my life. I am excited for children’s birthdays as each year marks dramatic new milestones in their ever-changing lives. As for myself, I’m just happy that I’m alive. It doesn’t really matter the length of life, just that I have life today. Praise Jesus.

That said, I had an excellent birthday last week. Several events happened on that day that were good and praiseworthy. Exciting new discoveries for me, having fine things happen on my birthday. Usually, it really is just another day!

When I got to work, I found a beautiful orchid plant accompanied by a lovely card from a good friend. Another friend brought my favourite snack to share with others in honour of my birthday. I was so humbled to have others think of me on this regular day. Friends aren’t obligated to think of me in such gentle, thoughtful ways. It is a blessing to experience their kindness in my life. Truly, it’s the love of God seen through his followers.

I work with children. They were so excited to share in my birthday! They created cards and pictures, hugs and messages for me. I was so happy for them to have the opportunity to think of others. You see, when young children are learning to think of others’ before themselves, they need the chance to practice this command. An adult’s birthday is a great opportunity for children to practice kindness in a practical and straightforward way. When other people’s birthdays (or any other celebratory achievements) arise, the same children hopefully recognize the opportunity to affirm others, to exercise kindness and thoughtfulness, and to honour other people before themselves. An excellent life-lesson indeed.

Then God made this children’s lesson applicable in my own life.

My husband and I had a dinner at a restaurant downtown very close to the Burrard Skytrain Station. After our meal, we began to walk around the block to help digest our scrumptious birthday feast. We were not twenty steps from the restaurant when a homeless man came to ask for money. We replied our standard polite and respectful response, “Sorry.” [insert sympathetic smile here]. Having spoken this as we were still walking, we expected him to let us be. But he persisted. Maybe because there wasn’t anyone else in the vicinity at the moment for him to ask.

“Oh please. I’m hungry. I’m homeless. Just a little bit,” He tried.

“You’re hungry? Can I buy you something to eat? What do you like?” said my husband.

Is he going to give him my leftover steak? I think to myself. But we refused the disposable cutlery! I honestly thought this as the man responded.

“I like Mcdonald’s. I’m hungry, man.” he said. He babbled for a little bit because he had been drinking. My husband asked about him a little bit. Charlie has been homeless for 5 years. His mother is dying of cancer. He likes to have the double quarter pounder meal. With Coke. And fries. Charlie stopped to ask every, single person he passed for money making it a looooong walk up the single, city block to the fast-food restaurant. He waited on the opposite side of the street as we went to the restaurant, claiming that he couldn’t go in because he was too ugly. When we returned with his food, he was so excited. He gave my husband a hug and a handshake and he patted me on the head. The conversation was mostly with my husband, after all. He tried to ask for more things from us, but my husband replied, “Sorry, Charlie. I got you dinner tonight.” And Charlie took off with his meal.

A nearby observer commented to us that that was a decent thing we did for Charlie.

I glowed because, you see, I am married to that “decent” husband, though I would use adjectives such as godly, loving, or praiseworthy.

I was also totally humbled. Because my first thought was about my leftover steak.

God had taught me about opportunities that day which just happened to be my birthday. Opportunities to learn lessons with eternal value like showing love to others, thinking about other people above myself, being kind and thoughtful in practice and habit. I am so grateful that He allowed this lesson to develop very practically through my husband’s actions. Otherwise, it would’ve been an insignificant birthday in light of eternity. But my God is a merciful One and still allowed me to be blessed that evening despite my selfish thoughts of leftover food.
And the final lesson of the day: having turned out to be an excellent, celebratory birthday, it still wasn’t about me. It was excellent and worth celebrating because it was about Jesus’ life in us. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger