Sunday, March 20, 2011

Jesus Everything

Ephesus

What would you do if someone told you that they can give you the secret to success? How about an offer to be free of disease? I think most of us would jump at the opportunity!

Through the years growing up in church, I see many people become “Christians” due to a myriad of different reasons and motives. I’ve seen people come to church try to gain an extra member for their lucrative health product business. I’ve seen people attempt to satisfy their ambition for attention and power by grappling for positions of authority. Even more commonly, a vast majority of young adults go to church because they have always been in church since they were born; they simply show up because they’re used to it. It makes me wonder how many of us actually cling on to Christianity for the sake of something other than Jesus Himself?

Recently, when I started contemplating a career move, this question came up during my job search in which I attempted many different avenues but was only met with dead ends. The more places I looked, the more I doubted whether I was qualified for anything at all. There was an almost irresistible temptation to settle into self-pity and bemoan my so-called “unfortunate” circumstance. This feeling was even stronger when I saw the bountiful success of other job seekers around me that I knew personally. There were times when I asked myself why God didn’t provide even when I submitted myself to prayer for an career opportunity to arise. However, on a certain day, I encountered a hymn that I knew from long ago that brought me to reflect on what being a Christian means.

The hymn is called “Himself” and is written by Albert Benjamin Simpson, the founder of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. The entire hymn’s verses are comprised of a then-and-now perspective: from being self-centered to Christ-centered, from selfishness to self-sacrifice. However, the message is found in the chorus: in Jesus, we have everything. It is not about gaining success or living a wealthy life in which we place our belief in Christ.

Even happiness, when placed more importantly than focusing on Christ, is not the reason why we are Christians. The hymn reminded me that it is not job security or satisfaction that matters; it is living a life full of Jesus that makes us who we are. A job doesn’t mean much if we cling onto it for the sake of enjoying a new home or purchasing a new car. If we have Jesus, we have everything. In the book of Exodus, the inheritance given to the tribe of Levites is simple but of utmost importance: God Himself (Numbers 18:20). Jesus didn't offer us any wealth or trouble-free life; He promised that the Father will take care of all our needs and He pointed out it is our love of God that matters (Luke 12:22-34). Our faith in Christ is not a means to becoming wealthy, successful, or famous. Our calling is to ultimately use our lives to point to Jesus everything we do so that all glory is to Him alone. Whatever our prayer requests may be, we must always focus our thoughts back on Jesus. Life is difficult and even fulfilling our needs can become a challenge but Christ has already offered Himself on the cross for us which is the ultimate gift we can ever attain.

In regards to the job that I was looking for, I was able to find a job shortly after the final drafts of this article. This yet again shows that God will provide if we throw ourselves into His arms and let Him lead us where He wants us to go.

“Himself” - A.B. Simpson

Once it was the blessing, Now it is the Lord; Once it was the feeling, Now it is His Word.
Once His gifts I wanted, Now the Giver own; Once I sought for healing, Now Himself alone.
Once ‘twas painful trying, Now ‘tis perfect trust; Once a half salvation, Now the uttermost.
Once ‘twas ceaseless holding, Now He holds me fast; Once ‘twas constant drifting, Now my anchor’s cast.
Once ‘twas busy planning, Now ‘tis trustful prayer; Once ‘twas anxious caring, Now He has the care.
Once ‘twas what I wanted, Now what Jesus says; Once ‘twas constant asking, Now ‘tis ceaseless praise.
Once it was my working, His it hence shall be; Once I tried to use Him, Now He uses me.
Once the power I wanted, Now the Mighty One; Once for self I labored, Now for Him alone.
Once I hoped in Jesus, Now I know He’s mine; Once my lamps were dying, Now they brightly shine.
Once for death I waited, Now His coming hail; And my hopes are anchored, Safe within the veil.
All in all forever,  Only Christ I’ll sing; Everything is in Christ,  And Christ is everything

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger