Tuesday, September 11, 2012

God is so good — A testimony from Aaron Tsang

Written by: Aaron Tsang

May 22, 2012. Approximately 5:00pm. Robbed at gunpoint. 

God is so good.

Today, after work, I was robbed at gunpoint. All of a sudden, everything in my life that had no meaning was stripped away in order that I may see the things that had true value in my life — my wife, my family and my purpose. In those short seconds of crime, God opened my eyes to understand exactly what worth is.

To the criminal, I was only worth $200USD. In the human rat race, we all race to achieve a goal. For many, the goal may be something of a personal gain. I, too, have had these goals.

Many times we are distracted and blinded by selfish ambition. We continually redefine what the true meaning of worth is for our lives. Let me ask you: Is that dream of yours composed by dollar figures? Is that passion in your heart fuelled by personal gain? I can tell you that when the barrel of the gun was pointed at me, the things that were of true value were suddenly made clear.

I am certain that God values my life. I am worth more than the monetary figure the criminal saw.
The incident was striking to me, not only because it was a life and death situation, but also because of the exact timing. The day before, May 22nd, my wife and I finally did our devotions after a while of hiatus. We had faced challenges in our walk with God but on that day we read Isaiah 43:1-13. Although it sounded like a re-assuring chapter, it made no sense at the time when I read it. There was only a brief discussion about it at the dinner table and that was it. However, today the passage revealed itself in full completion and comfort. God is good.

[ … Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. 3 For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior … ]

[ … Let them bring in their witnesses to prove they were right, so that others may hear and say, “ It is true. ” 10 “ You are my witnesses, ” declares the Lord, “ and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me. 11 I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior. 12 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed — I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witnesses, ” declares the Lord, “ that I am God.13 Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it? ” … ]

My God is all mighty and all knowing — everywhere, and anywhere. He loves me more than anything. He cares for my future. He forgave my past. He lives with me now. He is my comfort and He is my protector. He helps me endure through all situations. He provides wisdom when lost. He gives me hope when I feel defeated. In humanity, He is the victor. My God reigns — all the time. He is the reason I live and I am worth everything to Him. And He loves everyone too.

The robber looked about 20 years old; he was young. But aside from the fear of having my life threatened, I felt much disappointment. Being a youth leader, I've lovingly mentored youth and imagined their bright futures. It saddened me to recall the young countenance of the perpetrator when I gave my statement to the police. How could such a young soul, filled with potential and worth, choose such a path? Where are his parents? Where are his values? Why?

My heart hurt for him knowing that the punishment for his crime, imprisonment, will only deteriorate his beliefs and harden his heart. At the very same time, I felt frustration. I wanted to ask the robber, why did you put me through such trauma and pain only for two hundred dollars? Is the life of another human dispensable for your personal gain? Is humanity really only worth that much to you? I despised the selfishness I saw and the sin that corrupted his heart and mind, but I mourned for the person.

I think that compared to most people I have a pretty good memory. As I was leaving for home, flashbacks brought me to the exact moment and paranoia settled in. I feared that the perpetrator was waiting for me and wanted to take revenge on me. I went back inside the bank, unable to make sense of how I felt. I knew that aside from the mental and physical trauma that I experienced, there was also a spiritual bondage that suffocated me.

When I finally left the building, I sat in my car and broke into tears. Although I held my composure in front of staff and friends, in my car I was finally alone and able to move out of the “ strictly business ” mode. I really hurt for that boy. Although I understood what had happened, I could not understand why I was still afraid. I turned on the music to calm myself down. God is good. Not only did the music calm my heart, it also opened my mind and assured me. When I went home I recalled Isaiah 43:1-13. My God brings me through all difficulties. I can surely move beyond this building and claim victory not through my own persistence, or my own will, but through His name. God can conquer everything for me. My God reigns.

Through spiritual maturity and my trust in God, my character has developed to remain calm in any challenging life stage or situation. Even when I did not feel close to God, following His ways have allowed me to surpass many difficult situations. I can remain calm because I have faith that in any circumstance, my God reigns. Nothing in life occurs unless He has allowed it. My value in life is not based on me, otherwise I would have fear in any situation that I would lose or die. However, when my life is dictated by Him, I have peace believing that He knows best. I am confident that everything that happens to me has a worthwhile purpose because I am worth so much to Him.

This made me think: God loves me so much, but He loves that boy just as much. I needed to forgive that boy for his offense against me, but more importantly, I needed to pray for his salvation and for God ’ s mercy for his sins. God ’ s love is the same to all of mankind and God ’ s grace is sufficient for all of mankind ’ s sins. By forgiving the boy I was able to conquer my fear and replace it with hope.

Initially, I really felt that I could not return back to work. I did not want to sit there wondering if there will be a next time where I will be robbed at gunpoint. I did not want to be subject to that fear again. But this spiritual epiphany brought hope to my life and allowed me to overcome the burden on my heart. In everything that happens, God has a purpose for. God ’ s grace is sufficient. I will not allow the work of the devil to interfere and distract my life.

In fact, now I look forward to returning to work. Although I am taking the rest of the week off, I am encouraged and am prepared for the challenges ahead. This experience stripped everything invaluable from my life. Now, I will focus on what is valuable to God. Sometimes, these experiences are what shape a man ’ s character and life path. With the speed at which life passes, it is easy to fall into complacency and allow the world to change what you value. God ’ s plan is better than any human plan. There was a reason for today ’ s incident and it has invigorated me to continue in God ’ s plan. Thank you Lord for your compassion. My God is so good.


Aaron and his wife Michelle

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger